Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Complete the Picture With a Story

Today's awards at lunch were inspiring--I could hear and see the emotion in the room on and off the stage. As a newcomer to the Wisconsin Prevention Conference, I really wanted to understand what was going on.

Who were these people? Obviously their contributions to the prevention arena belonged in the state fair blue ribbon, grand prize-winning category. Their colleagues praised them, and gave out awards and hugs, so I was really happy for everyone. I tried to imagine what the award-winners' exceptional work must look like as I clapped along with everyone else.

Then Chef Thomas Sacksteder received his award, and I forgot the few words about him on my program page. Instead I was suddenly watching him show kids at Sand Lake Elementary School how to cook delicious vegetables and encouraging tasting, with kids cheering, the principal peeling potatoes , a carrot judging, and staff, teachers, volunteers and parents enthusiastically supporting the whole thing.

The funny thing is, I've seen that video many times because I work on the PreventionSpeaks.org team supporting storytelling as another tool for policy change. But this time I felt goosebumps because it enhanced something I was already trying to comprehend.

I think you can count on your audience having a better understanding of your cause by using a story.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Shirley. It was electric yesterday and I couldn't help being reminded of Nancy's comment in the opening about being in a room full of heros.

    ReplyDelete